So I am once again I am joining Everyday Snapshots for
The idea is to get yourself to do all those great ideas we find on the internet :) so here is my meager attempt for the week!
One of my projects this year is to stop using store bought cleaners. I don't have anything against using them, but they are a tad expensive! So one by one as a run out of different products I am replacing them with my own homemade, non-toxic version (patting myself on the back!!). This week I ran out of laundry detergent ... I do a lot of laundry in a week so I got put this stuff together really quick. Unfortunately I don't have a link :( I searched the internet high and low for the recipe that would work for me, but they all included boiling, letting it set and other complicated steps. Right when I was about to give up my friend Carrie shared her recipe ...
finely grate on bar of Fels-Naptha soap
Add one cup of Borax
Add one cup of Washing soda
mix the whole thing together ... and viola!! you have dry laundry detergent. It takes 1-2 Tbs per load. I found a cheap cup and measured 2 Tbs into it and marked the amount with a black sharpie. Now I just fill to the line and dump into the washer. Also I use 1 cup of white vinegar as well for fabric softener. I have used for 3 loads of laundry so far and I am really pleased. I can't tell any difference in the wash and they smell clean ... so success :)








I keep saying I am going to do this and never have. Where did you find your Fels-Naptha? Thanks for linking up!
ReplyDeleteI found everything at Walmart. Thanks for coming over!
DeleteAwesome- I always adnire women who are this resourceful. :)
ReplyDeleteI used to make that soap! It smelled so good and worked great. Somehow, I fell out of the habit of making it. I should try it again.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is using your recipe for her science fair project. I can't wait to see how it works out.
ReplyDelete